RSS White Paper from Yahoo
Yahoo recently released a White Paper on RSS Feed and its uses. According to the key findings of the report;
- Awareness of RSS is quite low among Internet users. 12% of users are aware of RSS, and 4% have knowingly used RSS.
- 27% of Internet users consume RSS syndicated content on personalized start pages (e.g., My Yahoo!, My MSN) without knowing that RSS is the enabling technology.
- 28% of Internet users are aware of podcasting, but only 2% currently subscribe to podcasts.
- Even tech-savvy “Aware RSS Users” prefer to access RSS feeds via user-friendly, browser-based experiences (e.g., My Yahoo!, Firefox, My MSN).
- My Yahoo! has the highest awareness and use of any RSS-enabled product.
I think that this all points to the fact that those of us who publish blogs and other RSS Feeds have to do more work to let our readers know how to use RSS feeds and the advantages that come with using them.
RSSWriter Documentation - RSSWriter is a convenience class for generating RSS 1.0 feeds with PHP.
Tool to edit RSS Feeds
Things you can do with RSS Feeds. - Very good list of ways to use RSS feeds on your web sites.
RSS to PDF Converter.
RSS Fwd - This site allows anyone to subscribe to any RSS / Atom feed and receive the updates in their email inbox.
Making Your RSS Feed Look Pretty in a Browser by Ben Hammersley.
RSS Tutorial for Content Publishers and Webmasters - Good tutorial, while not exhaustive it covers the basics.
mod_mp3 - It has an XML-RPC interface for you to write interfaces around and supports retrieving information via XML/RSS. Mod_mp3 turns the Apache Web server into an MP3 or Ogg streaming server. It can play from a list of files, either in order or randomly.
RSS Category at Dmoz.org - A collection of RSS-related links, including tutorials, background and more.